This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

BogusTrivia problem

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
q
quoke
Voice

BogusTrivia problem

Post by quoke »

Can anyone please help solve this problem if you have time? I would surely appreciate it.

It's happened twice now with the KAOS question. Some of the answers came out together but when I checked the database for the file, there was nothing wrong there. I downloaded this file from Spike's website.

1,9 .K409. KAOS: US, Canada and Other Holidays ? 12 Question Value : 36900 Points
01,09 1st Hint: Nine Possible Answers 12 Each Answer : 4100 Points

g12 Times up! 04 No one got 12 [Labor DayChristmas]

t2.kf.000.555:KAOS: US, Canada and Other Holidays*Labor Day*Christmas*Thanksgiving*Easter*Yom Kippur*Hannukah*Kwanzaa*President's Day*Halloween*Fourth Of July

I hope to hear back from you guys.

Thanks and more power.
SpiKe^^
Owner

Hmmmm

Post by SpiKe^^ »

I have no idea why you are having problems with your KAOS hints.

That behavior has not been reported by any other users.
I am unable to recreate similar issues on either of my 2 running copies of the script.

I have no suggestions or advice at this time.
SpiKe^^

Get BogusTrivia 2.06.4.7 at www.mytclscripts.com
or visit the New Tcl Acrhive at www.tclarchive.org
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: Hmmmm

Post by willyw »

Neither did I. ( I sent him here )

Through chatting about a previous problem, I discovered that some sort of Windows editor had been used to create a q&a file. We covered that, and I said that I would use nano.
Solved that one.

Later, this came up.
When I learned that the q&a file was not home-brewed, but came from the Bogus Trivia website - then I was stumped.

One thing possibly worth mentioning :
In his learning how to locate the question by using grep, it seems that he finds several copies of it. We haven't gone into that (yet), but :
Is it at all possible, that if a q&a already exists, that if a dupe file is then introduced using .add, that it could somehow affect things?
I seem to remember having made this flub myself, years ago, with no ill effects... but I have to ask now.... just grasping at straws.

Next:
Would it be worthwhile to start over? That is: delete all the KAOS (or even simply all ) q&a files, and get fresh copies and carefully do the process of .add and then mix - again?
Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for your time in considering these two things that I've brought up. I wish I could think of more.... it sure is odd.

And, thanks for BogusTrivia . :)
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
q
quoke
Voice

Bogus trivia is up and running using eggdrop 1.8.3

Post by quoke »

I would like to thank Spike^^^ and willyw for all the help regarding this matter. Both of my bogus trivia bots crashed while using eggdrop 1.8.4 and so was asked to set up a new one using eggdrop 1.8.3. I did that and also loaded the bogus trivia script. It's been running good so far but I'd like to mention that I noticed another error this morning which is possibly caused by having a duplicate file which willyw had mentioned in his comment.

.0573. Who, with Elton John, was co-author of hits such as Goodbye Yellow Brick Rdle In The Wind ?

t2.qf.000:Who, with Elton John, was co-author of hits such as Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Candle In The Wind*bernie taupin

t2.qf.022:Who, with Elton John, was co-author of hits such as Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Candle in the Wind*Bernie Taupin

I'm hoping for a suggestion to solve this issue.

Thank you again, guys.