This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

No autojoin, no dcc, no ctcp

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
c
crymsun
Voice

No autojoin, no dcc, no ctcp

Post by crymsun »

Hi all,

Had my eggdrop bot running perfectly for months... suddenly in the wee hours, it got disconnected from IRC... upon trying to connect, it seems like it ran into a string of hostname errors, nickserv registration errors, etc.

I ended up killing it through putty and waiting for it to restart. It went through a few nickserv fails... I fixed that. Now it connects, nickserv identifies... then sits there.

It still won't autojoin its channel, and dcc/ctcp chat requests don't connect... getting the "waiting for acknowledgement".

I have gone through and refreshed scripts, user files and config file from the backup... nothing seems to work.

Am running eggdrop 1.8, using a shell host... set up/config'd via putty.
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: No autojoin, no dcc, no ctcp

Post by willyw »

Have you tried to telnet into your bot yet?

If not, do so. And when you get in, you might spot a clue as to why it is not joining channels, in the partyline. Or, you can do .chaninfo #channel for each and see if it somehow +inactive.

And do: .status and be sure that channels are really there, in bot.

As for bot not responding to your dcc chat :
Perhaps your hostmask has changed?
Do: .whois <your handle> and have a look at that, too.

I hope this helps.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
c
crymsun
Voice

Post by crymsun »

I have been able to connect to it on putty... it's how I killed in a few times today...

It doesn't like your chaninfo command, tho…?

I double checked the hostmask in the user file.. it was accurate.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

crymsun wrote:I have been able to connect to it on putty... it's how I killed in a few times today...
"I ended up killing it through putty" is ambiguous though.
Many use putty as their ssh client. That would imply killing bot from the linux command line, using the kill <pic> command.

Apparently you meant that you can and do use putty as also your telnet client.
Good. :)
It doesn't like your chaninfo command, tho…?
and ... ??

I double checked the hostmask in the user file.. it was accurate.
You can. It is very easy to make a mistake that way though.
Best to just do: .channel #channelname in partyline, and list all users in #channelname .
Find yourself in that list (be in the channel, first)
and examine how the bot sees you.
If bot knows you, your handle will be in the handle column, instead of an asterisk. And if you are owner, an "N" will be on your line, too.

You forgot to comment on:
Also, check modes set upon yourself and the bot, too.
Who knows what the network is setting, as defaults, upon login ...
Sometimes one of those (like +T) can interfere with dcc chat attemtps to bot.

There is SOME reason it is not responding properly... just need to pin it down.
:)

If you don't mind - what network is bot on?
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
c
crymsun
Voice

Post by crymsun »

"I ended up killing it through putty" is ambiguous though.
Many use putty as their ssh client. That would imply killing bot from the linux command line, using the kill <pic> command.

Apparently you meant that you can and do use putty as also your telnet client.
Good. :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding - I am still a total newb at the eggdrop/shellhost/putty world. I did use the kill <pid> command to kill the bot via putty. I honestly don't know HOW to use it as a telnet (I was dumb and thought that was the same thing... my apologies). This would explain putty not liking the chaninfo command.

I will read up on using putty as a telnet and see if I can learn that on the fly.
You can. It is very easy to make a mistake that way though.
Best to just do: .channel #channelname in partyline, and list all users in #channelname .
Find yourself in that list (be in the channel, first)
and examine how the bot sees you.
If bot knows you, your handle will be in the handle column, instead of an asterisk. And if you are owner, an "N" will be on your line, too.
I will try those things as soon as I can get a partyline connection. Thank you. I do know those userfiles are dead accurate. I have gone through the config file and all my scripts. Nothing had changed.
You forgot to comment on:

I didn't comment because I chalked it up to the same error as the chaninfo command (which means it's because I don't know what I'm doing.)
Also, check modes set upon yourself and the bot, too.
Who knows what the network is setting, as defaults, upon login ...
Sometimes one of those (like +T) can interfere with dcc chat attemtps to bot.

There is SOME reason it is not responding properly... just need to pin it down.
:)
I agree... and with the eggdrop files, all the scripts/modules and me being very much a dummy newbie... it's a needle in a haystack. I thank you for very much for your patience with me... I'll try to learn the putty/telnet thing and try your suggestions.
If you don't mind - what network is bot on?
xxxchatters is the network... is reputably a very stable network with no netsplits.. has all the "serv" modules... and relatively few users compared to Undernet, DALnet, etc.

Thank you again SO much for your time... I really do appreciate it. I have some learning to do to get this bot fixed!
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

crymsun wrote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding - I am still a total newb at the eggdrop/shellhost/putty world. I did use the kill <pid> command to kill the bot via putty.
Ah.
ok.
( Once we get you so you CAN log into bot's partyline, try to avoid doing that. Best to use the bot's partyline .die command to shut it down, properly. )
I honestly don't know HOW to use it as a telnet (I was dumb and thought that was the same thing... my apologies).
No big deal. :)
(We are making progress, as you learn things. )
This would explain putty not liking the chaninfo command.
Yep.
I will read up on using putty as a telnet and see if I can learn that on the fly.
Nothing to it. Just put in the bot's ip in the address box, and whatever port you set with
listen
in eggdrop.conf, for the port.
And be sure the button selection is clicked to be on telnet.
Then click the open button.
I will try those things as soon as I can get a partyline connection. Thank you.
Yep. Can't hurt. Takes seconds. And then you've made the bot do the work, and you see what the bot sees.
I agree... and with the eggdrop files, all the scripts/modules and me being very much a dummy newbie... it's a needle in a haystack.
Well .. not really. Without scrolling up and re-reading, I think you've said that this is something new... that you had it all working fine at some time.

That's important to know.

It means that something changed.
I have some learning to do to get this bot fixed!
I won't be surprised if it is something simple. :)