This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

about telnet

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
b
bach
Voice

about telnet

Post by bach »

hello,

im tryin connect to eggdrop via telnet,
thats ok but i ve some problems.

telnet connections are slow,
client askin "username" to me in like 5~15 seconds

what can i do for fast connection?
b
bach
Voice

Post by bach »

egg ver. 1.8.4 stable
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: about telnet

Post by willyw »

bach wrote: ...
client askin "username" to me in like 5~15 seconds
I find this to be typical. Same if I use : /ctcp botnick chat

There just seems to be some lag there.

But ! Once logged into the bot - with either of the above methods - the response to commands is just as quick as when logged in via /dcc chat botnick .

Do you find the same?
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
b
bach
Voice

Post by bach »

yes. only problem on first step(auth).

after that, works success all.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

bach wrote: ...
yes. only problem on first step(auth).

after that, works success all.
Ok.

I don't find it to be a problem - perhaps a minor inconvenience and an item of curiosity. I don't know why that delay is in there after connection ... I suppose we have to ask one of the folks that writes the code.

Sometimes they are in here.

Mostly though, if you want to ask one of them, you might try the Freenode irc network, and join the channel: #eggdrop
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

The delay would probably be either due to DNS resolution, or an ident-query timing out. I believe you can reduce the ident-timeout setting to mitigate the ident-query, since the ident-service really isn't used much these days...
NML_375
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

nml375 wrote: ... or an ident-query timing out.
This is what he was told, in #eggdrop channel :
<nick deleted> Eggdrop uses ident for authentication. It queries all connections for an ident response
<nick deleted> If the client connecting doesn't have an ident server running, you have to wait the timeout
Thought you might like to see it.
I believe you can reduce the ident-timeout setting to mitigate the ident-query, since the ident-service really isn't used much these days...
No one in the channel mentioned that. You've caused me to go look. :)
Is this what you refer to? :
# This setting defines the time in seconds the bot should wait for ident reply
# before the lookup fails. The default ident on timeout is 'telnet'. A value of
# 0 disables the ident lookup entirely.
set ident-timeout 5
No one mentioned that setting, there on the channel. I wonder why ....
Are there any negative consequences to setting it to zero ?

Thanks for jumping in.
:)
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Hi,
The ident-protocol is a legacy from the old days when most of us would use dialup connections to mainframes, and run our irc clients (on said mainframe) through terminal clients...

Since there would be a large number of users from the same IP address, a service was implemented where you could query which username had initiated which connection (based of port numbers). On irc servers, you'd see this as the <user> part of <nick>!<user>@<host>. In cases where there would be no valid ident-response, the <user> part would usually be prefixed with the tilde-sign (~). I don't see much issues with reducing the ident-timeout, as it's legacy these days. In the rare event that valid requests would start to timeout, you could try to increase it slightly, or adjust usermasks accordingly.

For those curious to the protocol, it's documented in RFC1413.
NML_375
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

Interesting stuff.

Thank you.
:)