This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Cant get BogusTrivia to add question

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
j
jwhisenhunt
Voice

Cant get BogusTrivia to add question

Post by jwhisenhunt »

I have tried to use the /msg bot .add and it wont do anything. All of the other commands work just cant get it to add question to DB. :( Can someone walk me though this problem. :?:
SpiKe^^
Owner

Post by SpiKe^^ »

There is no secrets to using the BogusTrivia .add command.

Please come by my #pc-mirc-help channel on undernet and we will talk about it some:)
SpiKe^^

Get BogusTrivia 2.06.4.7 at www.mytclscripts.com
or visit the New Tcl Acrhive at www.tclarchive.org
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: Cant get BogusTrivia to add question

Post by willyw »

jwhisenhunt wrote:I have tried to use the /msg bot .add and it wont do anything. All of the other commands work just cant get it to add question to DB. ...
Not sure that I understand your question, yet.

Do you mean that you are trying to add the text of a specific question / answer to the game db?
If so, that's not what the .add command does.

That command tells the script to find a file, and add it's contents to the game db.

If you have some questions and answers that you want to add to the game, use a plain text editor (like nano) to create a text file. Edit them into it, in a proper format. Then you can use the .add command. Give it the filename that you just created.

What to name the file?
How to format the file?
Where to put the file?

There are four .txt files that came with BogusTrivia :
Commands.txt
'Important Notes.txt'
Installation.txt
Readme.txt

The .add command is mentioned in them several times, and answers those questions.
Take your time, and read them. It's not a quick skim. :)

Note ! : When you use the .add command, not only does it add the contents of your of your Q&A file to the game db, it eats the file ! Gone... poof! It says so, in those .txt documents. So, make a backup copy of them - especially while you are getting used to working with it all.

I hope this helps.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: Cant get BogusTrivia to add question

Post by willyw »

I was writing, while Spike^^ was posting.

What he said is even better. ;)

I think it would still be a good idea to spend some time with all four of those .txt files first though. It really helps.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
ComputerTech
Master

Post by ComputerTech »

what i do for bogus trivia is just simply edit the txt files like add a question to the file Simple 8)

all these commands are cool but at the same time hard to beat to just edit the txt file manually ;)
ComputerTech