egghelp.org community Forum Index
[ egghelp.org home | forum home ]
egghelp.org community
Discussion of eggdrop bots, shell accounts and tcl scripts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which encoding for displaying ascii chars?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    egghelp.org community Forum Index -> Scripting Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raider2k
Op

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: which encoding for displaying ascii chars? Reply with quote

hello everyone,

I'm soon migrating to a newer debian version as support for the older ones will be dropped. to be prepared I installed debian 10 and installed latest eggdrop version.

as I have lots of ascii characters in my scripts outputs (like or or german and nordic letters like ) they are now not getting displayed correctly on irc. On the new system they appear as • or » on the irc.
This is not a new issue which is why in the past I chose a latin1 or latin15 charset (dpkg-reconfigure locales), logged on to ssh with new locale settings, had eggdrop die, start it up again and it used to work. I was not successful with this this time...

I tried he following locales:
- en_US.UTF-8
- en_US ISO-8859-1
- en_US.ISO-8859-15
- de_DE.UTF-8
- de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

and every time did a fresh ssh logon, then bot restart.

when I use alt+numpad to type those letters they show up correctly in the terminal (ssh) window. they also look correct when I type them into a tcl script - unless those chars are in a tcl file already when opening one, then they look like a block. I put such a character in a txt file and let it cat to terminal window: displayed ok.
Because of that I also tried using the utf-8 codes, such as \xBB but I get the same result regardless of system locale set. however when I do "putlog " - \xBB" both show up ok in eggdrop telnet session. It is not irc server related as it worked on the same networks before.

I really hope someone can help with this issue bc I don't know what to do anymore to display those characters correctly again Sad

thx to everyone right away!
CrazyCat
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your scripts in utf-8 ? try to use iconv with a faulty one to ensure it is, and reload it.
raider2k
Op

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, that's new to me. before I look into it: how can I find out what is the current encoding of a file?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    egghelp.org community Forum Index -> Scripting Help All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: