This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop stop replying to telnet

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
CrazyCat
Revered One

Eggdrop stop replying to telnet

Post by CrazyCat »

Hi there,

I have some eggdrops which stop replying to telnet after a certain uptime, that's really weird:

Code: Select all

eggdrop@myhost:~/eggdrop$ telnet myhost 3300
Trying myhost...
Connected to myhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
I kill the bot process and launch again

eggdrop@myhost:~/eggdrop$ telnet myhost 3300
Trying myhost...
Connected to myhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
  ___                 _
 | __| __ _  __ _  __| | _ _  ___  _ __
 | _| / _` |/ _` |/ _` || '_|/ _ \| '_ \
 |___|\__, |\__, |\__,_||_|  \___/| .__/
      |___/ |___/                 |_|

Copyright (C) 1997 Robey Pointer
  Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Eggheads Development Team

Artus  (Eggdrop v1.8.4 (C) 1997 Robey Pointer (C) 2010-2018 Eggheads)
I have other eggdrops on this host, with quite identical config (only names and ports are different, and some scripts), some of them works well, some of them have the same trouble.

The eggdrop with this trouble are hubs in my botnet, do you think it could be the source of the trouble ?

P.S.: here is my bottree:

[11:04:17] #CrazyCat# bottree
Artus
  |--Excalibur
  |    `--CrazyEgg
  |--Brandelis
  |--Viviane
  |--Lancelot
  |    `--_BS00
  |         |--_BS02
  |         |--_BS01
  |         |--_BS09
  |         |--_BS07
  |         |--_BS08
  |         |--_BS06
  |         |--_BS05
  |         |--_BS04
  |         `--_BS03
  |--Gauvain
  |--Morgane
  |--Mordret
  |--Guenievre
  |--Perceval
  |--Myrddin
  `--Galaad
Artus and Lancelot often have the trouble
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: Eggdrop stop replying to telnet

Post by willyw »

What I have had happen - a few times, certainly not always - regarding connections dying, is with dcc chat to bot.

I remember that once, it was on a shell that a friend had given me. In other words, I knew the admin and he was willing to look into it. He discovered some setting in linux, such that after x minutes, it would kill an idle connection.
He changed that setting, and the problem was fixed.

The few other times it has happened to me over the years, it was on shells where I did not know the admin so well. So I made a little script, such that when I logged into bot via dcc chat, the bot would send me a blank line of text in the partyline every x minutes. The blank line is tolerable, appearing in the partyline. And it fixed the problem.

Thus, I cannot help but wonder if you've got the same problem.... that the shell itself is killing the connection due to inactivity.

I suppose that with some careful experimenting, you could find out if this is it.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
CrazyCat
Revered One

Post by CrazyCat »

The trouble is that just a few eggdrops have this issue, others (same shell, same compiled eggdrop, just the .conf is changed) haven't.
When the DCC is enabled, I haven't any trouble. But I can't telnet the faulty eggdrops unless I stop & restart them. And it's clearly the eggdrop which doesn't answer totally, it blocks before sending the banner, like if it takes a long time to got the connection.

Peharps the hub consumes too much sockets ?
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

CrazyCat wrote:The trouble is that just a few eggdrops have this issue, others (same shell, same compiled eggdrop, just the .conf is changed) haven't.
Peharps the hub consumes too much sockets ?
Perhaps it is that one eggdrop is idle for too long, and another isn't ?
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

Write a simple script. Have the bot ping itself, once every five minutes. See if that makes a difference. Can't hurt. :)
CrazyCat
Revered One

Post by CrazyCat »

Well, the eggdrops works well. It reacts to commands without any trouble.
It's just telnet (I don't test DCC chat, I'll do it soon) which doesn't answer completely.

N.B.: as I showed in my first message, the connection is established ("Connected to myhost., Escape character is '^]'") and freeze at this time.

I'll try to measure CPU and RAM consumption for my eggdrops and see :)
z
zeolek
Voice

Post by zeolek »

CrazyCat wrote:Well, the eggdrops works well. It reacts to commands without any trouble.
It's just telnet (I don't test DCC chat, I'll do it soon) which doesn't answer completely.

N.B.: as I showed in my first message, the connection is established ("Connected to myhost., Escape character is '^]'") and freeze at this time.

I'll try to measure CPU and RAM consumption for my eggdrops and see :)
Hi,
Have you found rootcause of the issue? I have similar problem for quite a long time now and cannot see any obvious reason for such behavior.

I'm running egg 1.8.4 on Centos with Linux 3.10.0-1160.25.1.el7.x86_64
CrazyCat
Revered One

Post by CrazyCat »

The issue has been reported: https://github.com/eggheads/eggdrop/issues/1174

Actually, no solution were found.