This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Creating my own shell

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
E
Eirwan

Creating my own shell

Post by Eirwan »

It is possible to make my own shell with freeBSD?... i am using P3 733/133Mhz FSB, 160mb ram and 6gig hard disk. My internet connection is behind a router.
]Kami[
Owner

Post by ]Kami[ »

Yes, it is possible...Learn about linux/freeBSD little and then you'll see that is quite simple...The best thing is, that you add user for yourself and run processes on it...But remember...If you wanna have ssh open to public you'll need to open port on router..
i
ispeeds
Voice

Post by ispeeds »

Hello,
Well, first you need to download freebsd off of freeBSD's ftp server and install it. if you own your server then you can create shell accounts but you'll still need IPs with reverse dns delegation to make decent bouncers so the best thing is to colocate your hardware at a datacenter...
Ben S.
Ispeeds Communications
M
Moonster
Halfop

Post by Moonster »

I presently run a BSD server on my Cable connection --- though the box only gets 1 IP --- But it helps you to learn more about BSD

Just remember if you only have 1 IP dont go crazy with your connections or you could attract a gline or kline from your favorite network.
"Knowledge is Power"
BeastNH/Moonster on Undernet/EFnet IRC Network