This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

psyBNC Scripting?

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
F
Frk

psyBNC Scripting?

Post by Frk »

hi all,

is it possible to make scripts for the psyBNc ?

Thanx!! :oops:
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

I don't think so.

The only abilities that PsyBNC has, is the ability to read it's config file.

However, eggdrop can be scripted.

With this, you can script it, to use PysBNC as it's connection to a IRC server, and as normal, use scripts on eggdrop, for other purposes.
m
masskilla
Op

Post by masskilla »

Hi

Umm .. I believe it is possible to write scripts for psyBNC .. and it even supports TCL (I think .. I'm too lazy to go check the docs) .. but I never bothered to figure out how to script ..
MaSsKilla

#eggdrop
Undernet
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Yup - I just looked, it does support scripting, but it is very limited.

It doesn't support Tcl directly, but rather, allows you to exec a command on the shell (AKA, call a script script, and hey presto, it uses the output).

I havn't checked, but this is so limiting, it's practicaly usless.
m
method

Sqwipting

Post by method »

Depends what you wanna do. I`ve played around with psy scripting a little (version 2.3.1). What did you have in mind?
F
Frk

Well..!!!!

Post by Frk »

yes, u can make scripts for the psyBNc, under the sripts DIR in the shell/FTP,
i tried using a TCL script, well... Semi TCL, and it's working fine, but the psyBNC scripting is limited :o

Thanx 4 all the replies ppl. :P
z_one
Master

Post by z_one »

Method:
Depends what you wanna do. I`ve played around with psy scripting a little (version 2.3.1). What did you have in mind?
Any comparative document as to what can be done with Psybnc ?
I mean a document where you compare how things are done in TCL and how the same thing can be coded for Psybnc.

Thanks.

z_one
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

HMM - too keep things simple, I will send you a stamp via snail mail - it will include your address, the return address, the alphabet and the instructions you need.

Thats what is available to you.

There are no direct scripting abilities in PsyBNC.

What it refers to as scripting is actualy programs being run on events.

IE, if an event is triggered, then the program associated with that event is called. Whatever the program sends to STDOUT is sent to the IRC server.

Thus, it's is very limited. You have no direct control over the BNC (though, some majic tricks could be used), only the ability to send messages to the server, based on incoming data. Meaning, scripts can only work when a event is triggered.

You could make it into a bot, though you could possibly wait hours until an event is triggered, meaning that you can't send needed commands. As I said, limiting.

Most of this is documented in the README files.

NOTE: The majic tricks are limtied too. A called program could be setup to edit config files, and such, and possibly rehash the BNC using signals (if it supports it). This is probably the most advanced idea possible, but is still limited.
z_one
Master

Post by z_one »

lol @ppslim :P
Ok I'll be waiting for that stamp by snail mail.
Meanwhile how about u poor me some tequila (the one that is always appended at the end of ur replies. :)

Cheers!

z_one
t
tainted
Master

Post by tainted »

Psybnc doesn't support much scripting because you use a client to connect to it, which in most cases supports scripting. Would be sorta pointless to have psybnc support scripting.. It would act more like a bot with a bnc tcl loaded. :P
w
walkery

Post by walkery »

OK, so can anyone give me a link to an psybnc scripting forum, coz i got something to ask ...? :-?
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Try asking here.

As noted, the abilities are so limited, I pretty much doubt there would be need to ask questions on it (as in, there wouldn't be enough traffic to warrant a forum).

As for the fact you use a client to connect to it, when a client has the scripting abilities.

From what I guess, this is more suited for offline scripting (when the client isnt connected). You could change version replies and any other CTCP reply, exec shell commands without accessing the shell (security risk, but it can be done).
z_one
Master

Post by z_one »

Good point ppslim, that it would be used when the client is not connected.

Say you're opped and detached. The server you're connected to goes down. Psybnc automatically makes you connect to another server (in the servers list).

How to make it auto identify your nick when it gets nickserv's notice ?

z_one
w
walkery

Post by walkery »

Good point z_one, i idle on undernet (it's lame i know) and i want (for now) my bouncer to login to X when he connects to the irc server...
Psybnc doesent have an connect event so i tryed to intercept first two raws:

Code: Select all

server	001	-	*	*	echo "PRIVMSG X@channels.undernet.org :login username password"
server	002	-	*	*	echo "MODE $USERNICK +x"
but of course it doesent work :P
why?
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

I havn't had time to check, but I would have thought you have to use a single command, without arguments.

IE, create a small shell script to do the echo, and simply call the shell script.

I will look a little more later.