This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

sending the bot's .confs - netbots

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
toefraz
Halfop

sending the bot's .confs - netbots

Post by toefraz »

Can someone help me setup the portion of netbots that deals with the sending of config files to the bots on the botnet? I have 3 bots, Toebot(hub), Eldyrsbot(client), and Qban(client).

I want to have Eldyrsbot.conf and Qban.conf on Toebot's shell, and have Toebot send the .confs to each bot respectively. But i'm not sure if they will create a new file called Eldyrsbot.conf... or just overwrite the eggdrop.conf.

All the bots are currently using eggdrop.conf on their separate machines.
When the going gets tough...Make lemonade!!!
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

read the documentation 1st, so you have a clue. Copy each leaf bot's conf file into your hub's main directory, then go read all about how netupdate works :mrgreen:
toefraz
Halfop

Post by toefraz »

It didn't help me much, as I have already read that section several times to try and understand how netupdate transfers the .conf files. ok, say all bots are currently using eggdrop.conf, and that all the .confs are different. When I use the '.netupdate -conf Bot' command, will I still be able to use eggdrop.conf on the bots, or will I have to start using Bot.conf?
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

I'd suggest naming each conf differently to reflect which bot they are i.e natale.conf (the bots nick being Natale) &c and then from the hub bot you can safely update: .netupdate -file natale.conf Natale.

Note that the files have to reside in your hub's main folder (unless you specify a location).
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
toefraz
Halfop

Post by toefraz »

OK, say I have 3 bots, Toebot, Eldyrsbot, and Qban. Toebot is the hub. So I would put Eldyrsbot.conf and Qban.conf in Toebot's main directory? And when I do .netupdate -config on Toebot, it will send Eldyrsbot.conf and Qban.conf to the respective bots. Right? But will it rename them to be eggdrop.conf on the Clients, or will I have to start using Eldyrsbot.conf on the Eldyrsbot to start eggdrop; and Qban.conf on Qban to eggdrop?
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

No, it will not rename them just copy to their respective bot dir. You do not have access to their seperate machines?
Search | FAQ | RTM
toefraz
Halfop

Post by toefraz »

I do not. So after I use .netupdate -config to send the bots their .confs, i would need to start using './eggdrop Bot.conf' instead of './eggdrop eggdrop.conf'?
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

toefraz wrote:OK, say I have 3 bots, Toebot, Eldyrsbot, and Qban. Toebot is the hub. So I would put Eldyrsbot.conf and Qban.conf in Toebot's main directory? And when I do .netupdate -config on Toebot, it will send Eldyrsbot.conf and Qban.conf to the respective bots. Right?
Correct. slennox explains this in the documentation. 3 bots, toebot being the hub, eldyrsbot and qban are leaf bots. Put a copy of eldyersbot.conf and qban.conf into Toebot's main directory, so there should be 3 conf files in Toebot's main directory. Make all changes to your bot's conf files here, not in thier respective shells. Now when you type .netupdate -config, your leaves will update thier conf files with the copy that you have uploaded to Toebot's main directory.
slennox wrote:You can choose any filename you want for the netbots.tcl components, config files, motd file(s), and telnet-banner file(s). You just need to make sure the files needed by each leaf bot are present on the hub bot's shell with the same filename and location.....Use the .netupdate [option] [bot] command on the hub bot. Valid options include -config, -motd, -banner, -settings and -scripts. If no option is specified, a combined settings/scripts update will be performed. If a bot is specified, the specified bot is updated, otherwise all bots are updated. Examples: netupdate -scripts will transfer the netbots.tcl script and components to all bots, netupdate -config Mallard will transfer the config file requested by Mallard.
Hope this is more helpful :wink:
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Using netupdate will not rename anything, just send the file you wish sent to the bot you select. If the file being sent exists already it will be overwritten with the new one requiring a .rehash of each bot.
toefraz wrote:... will I still be able to use eggdrop.conf on the bots, or will I have to start using Bot.conf?
Assuming you are using eggdrop.conf (instead of botnick.conf) for each (with your different settings) you'd have to upload one at a time and then use netupdate (making sure that you replace the hub bots conf when finished).

Hopefully I got it right this time. LOL
Search | FAQ | RTM
toefraz
Halfop

Post by toefraz »

Thank you. Sorry for my stupidity