This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

warmanager.mod

Discussion of Eggdrop's code and module programming in C.
G
Galadhrim
Op

warmanager.mod

Post by Galadhrim »

Just posting here in case people would like to see a somewhat simple module or are interested in the module itself. There are alot of functions and I used multiple header and source files. You never know if it helps people...

This module is based on the TCL script war-manager.tcl created by Kalhimeo. This module allows you to manage your clan wars in one place. Many clans play wars via several websites. Clan members need to check multiple websites or you constantly have to post on your forums to keep your members informed. With this module, and an eggdrop ofcourse, you can show your members exactly which wars are scheduled. Any they can tell you if they are available. And all of that in IRC!

Download v2.0b here.
Download v2.1b here.
Last edited by Galadhrim on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

I thought warmanager managed IRC wars ;)

A new module is always nice addition to eggdrop, but I personally think a module should be created only if the task being executed consumes too much resources, CPU- and memory-wise, by overutilizing Tcl interpterer (for example, gseen and stats.mod); otherwise, the solution should be a script
G
Galadhrim
Op

Post by Galadhrim »

I don't. Both have pros and cons, modules are easy to maintain and improve. I can add the TCL script we used to use here, you will cry and go stircrazy. I tried to upgrade it, but the language is just very weird to me.

I think there are way more people who can program C/C++ or can learn it more easily because they can program Java or other comparable language. Personally I won't touch any more TCL scripts, maybe just download and use them but no editing, C is so much easier for me.
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

you never doubted that your clan's script is perfect as far as TCL can go? ;)

a properly designed and implemented TCL script is much easier to maintain and develop than any C, C++ or Java solution - in most cases

I think you are somewhat confused regarding TCL's (and scripting in general) place and purpose as a programming language; you might want to check out John Ousterhout's white paper on scripting (he is the guy that invented TCL)
G
Galadhrim
Op

Post by Galadhrim »

i guess i want more than just scripting :)
G
Galadhrim
Op

Post by Galadhrim »

I updated the top post with a newer beta version. We've run this version for a while now and haven't received any bugs from my clan members.

Thanks to people who have contacted me for bug reports.

UK-R's development forums is here: http://www.uk-r.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48
The wamanager.mod development thread is stickied in that forum in case you need more info.