This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Long channel name

Discussion of Eggdrop's code and module programming in C.
r
reallove
Voice

Long channel name

Post by reallove »

Hello,
When trying to add a channel to the bot with a long name,it doesn't join the right one.
E.g.:
If I .+chan #long.channel.name ,the bot joins #long.channel .I tried also from partyline and directly to add the channel from the .conf file,but same result.Any ideas how to fix that?

PS:Sorry if it's off-topic,but I didn't know where to post the problem :)
G
Galadhrim
Op

Post by Galadhrim »

dont worry im sure the admins will move it to Eggdrop Help

To be able to answer your question:
1) Is the length of the channel name supported by the IRC server?
2) Are you in that channel when you are trying to get the bot to join it?
3) Are you using special characters in the name. characters like [ and ] need to be escaped (ie \[ and \] ) so the program knows they have to be seen as real charactes rather than special ones? channels like #[cool] have to be written in the config as #\[cool\].
r
reallove
Voice

Post by reallove »

Galadhrim wrote: 1) Is the length of the channel name supported by the IRC server?
Yes,it is supported,because I am in that channel when I try to make the bot join it.
Galadhrim wrote:3) Are you using special characters in the name. characters like [ and ] need to be escaped (ie \[ and \] ) so the program knows they have to be seen as real charactes rather than special ones? channels like #[cool] have to be written in the config as #\[cool\].
..maybe the ` character is considered special? It's contained in the channel name,with letters and . character.
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

i doubt that. only characters with special meaning in TCL would cause trouble.
just say how long the channel is. probably it just exceeds any internal variable string length. So probably you have to increase one of the array/string lengths.
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...
G
Galadhrim
Op

Post by Galadhrim »

with my own irc network i had to edit the bot's code to allow a longer nickname than 15 chars (or whatever it was in default setting).
r
reallove
Voice

Post by reallove »

De Kus wrote: just say how long the channel is.
The channel is 87 characters long .And the bot seems to join on a channel that contains the first 80 characters of that name.Where is that limit?
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Read through the source code (like every one else does). :P

You're bound to find it. :)
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
bcs1
Voice

Post by bcs1 »

reallove wrote:
Galadhrim wrote: 1) Is the length of the channel name supported by the IRC server?
Yes,it is supported,because I am in that channel when I try to make the bot join it.
Galadhrim wrote:3) Are you using special characters in the name. characters like [ and ] need to be escaped (ie \[ and \] ) so the program knows they have to be seen as real charactes rather than special ones? channels like #[cool] have to be written in the config as #\[cool\].
..maybe the ` character is considered special? It's contained in the channel name,with letters and . character.

Nope that charactor wouldn't do it, we have a channel named #Browneyz`Bungalow on my server, and .+chan #Browneyz`Bungalow works just fine. I know this doesn't help much, but at least it should eliminate one question for you.

Bill
irc.i-chat.org Home to 3 chat networks!!!!!
http://bcs-bcs.com so out of date it's laughable, but it's still Mine };O)~
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

eggdrop doesn't impose channel name length limitations, ircd does (max 200 characters on my ircd-hybrid)