This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

How to Install Linux or Unix...Any Guide??

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
T
TakaShi^^
Voice

How to Install Linux or Unix...Any Guide??

Post by TakaShi^^ »

Anyone have a guide for it...im turning my Windows to Unix\Linux....i have a question... will i be able to play any games...when i change to unix\Linux....Please i need some guide so tat i can make shell account and ircd ...
Im learning!!!
G
Galadhrim
Op

Post by Galadhrim »

oh dear. Where to start...

http://www.google.nl/search?sourceid=na ... tall+linux

There are loads of distributions that you can try. Each has the Linux/Unix kernel but offer different approaches on the location of programs/drivers. Simple distributions are Mandrake/Fedora. You will not be able to play games, you need WineX for that to emulate Windows. If you are not willing to probably spend a month or so fixing small things and trying out alot of things, mainly if you have B-brand hardware, then stick to Windows.

It will not be as easy as Windows, so if you only play games and use msn etc then I'd say stick to Windows. You can rent shells for a few bucks. But if you want to use it for more than a simply game/msn computer, like programming then it is worth the while. There is also a Windrop, eggdrop for Windows, available on the net.
T
TakaShi^^
Voice

Post by TakaShi^^ »

ya...i wan to have alot of shell account...then wasting money buying it =\
Im learning!!!
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Installing Linux and setting up a lot of accounts to run eggdrops does have one major drawback, a single IP and most networks allow only 3 clones per connection (some do not allow any clones). One could buy vhosts and have them hosted on their own system or a providers... not free either.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

You could install BIND on your linux box and use your server as a nameserver but you would need to request an IP block from RIPE usually around 8 IP's and register your nameserver. All this seems to be a bit overkill if all you want to do is host a few eggdrops. Besides that I am not sure if RIPE would assign you any ip's if you are not a buisiness else anyone could do it :wink: You will have to do a little digging to find out who you need to contact if this is truley the route you would like to take. If ultimately you just wish to run a few eggdrops then I suggest you just bite the bullet and buy a shell there are a lot of good shell providers out there with extremely good prices. I recommend BCMHosting They do a 2 bg process shell for just $4 USD a month. Alternativley you can stick with Windows and run windrops which are exactly the same as eggdrops just pre compiled to run on a windows box rather than linux. I hope you find my suggestions usefull and good luck with whichever route you finally decide to undertake.
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
T
TakaShi^^
Voice

Post by TakaShi^^ »

no man ...im trying to make a ircd irc server.....and give some shell acc to my friend if possible...maybe use other server vhost ^_^
Im learning!!!
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

Well personally I find RedHat9 an excelent choice for beginners. you can download it from here. You only need the last 3 files. Burn them to disc with your favourite cd burning software. I recommend Nero to burn ISO's. Insert the first disk and follow the onscreen instructions. Making sure to install the developer tools IE GCC compiler else without that you cant do much :wink: good luck and happy nixing :P
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
T
TakaShi^^
Voice

Post by TakaShi^^ »

after downloading the files then??? i cant play any game right?
=D
Im learning!!!
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

No you cant play games without installing a windows emulator which kind of defeats the whole point of linux :wink: . Best thing to do is have a seperate machine on your network with a linux install. then you get the best of both worlds ;]
G
Galadhrim
Op

Post by Galadhrim »

Yeah a real server (pc that is just on but no person uses it as workstation) is the best choice.

To save the worry, but not cash, just get a shell. you can often get a shell for 5-20 bucks and host 5-10 bnc's or eggdrops on that.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Galadhrim wrote:To save the worry, but not cash, just get a shell. you can often get a shell for 5-20 bucks and host 5-10 bnc's or eggdrops on that.
We don't want to spend anything and we want to play games. For gamer's Linux isn't it, pure and simple!

So, TakaShi^^, there are some open source versions of PC games to be bought (I think Doom III is one of them). Your best solution is a nix box networked to your Windows box as suggested by Galadhrim. That way you still have the familiarity of Windows whilst learning Linux; and it is a bit of a learning curve. :)

The one thing you will discover with Linux (and it can be a bit daunting at first) is the flexibility. When I really get bored I'll flip into Gentoo for a couple of weeks, get over that bit of boredom and then go back to Windows. :)
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM