This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop Status Update

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
W
Wcc
Master

Eggdrop Status Update

Post by Wcc »

I just posted an update as to the status of Eggdrop development, if anyone is interested.

http://forum.egghelp.org/viewtopic.php?t=9465
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

I personally would like to see a multiserver eggdrop, but it's understandable there's pretty remote chance of that ever happening, given the amount of code rewrite necessary and rather limited (per Wcc's post) developer resources

nevertheless, the last eggdev team (eggheads) have done a great job over the years (I've been following eggdrop development since 1.1.5) and deserve all the credit for making the bot ever more robust, functional, scriptable and configurable
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

Here here. Credits to all that have worked on eggdrop you have brought endless hours of fun and frustration to so many. I hope you continue on to at least version 3 ;)
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

^DooM^ wrote:Here here. Credits to all that have worked on eggdrop you have brought endless hours of fun and frustration to so many. I hope you continue on to at least version 3 ;)
word, let's hope the best for the future (with version 3 :P )
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

I was often considering triing to search for myself, but always when I look at the source code, I get somehow they feeling of 2 things:
1st: there were quite some changes in the 10 years
2nd: I have forgotten too much, since I read a basic C manual :D

and dont tell me to read one of these online manuals... just looking at them lets my head spine, because they are written in too hard englisch for me :D.

Must be quite some hard job. Sometimes people report bugs you can't reproduce, so I kind of understand the problems.

PS: why did you set the changelog to ignore in the CVS trees? I loved that file, because it was the best and easiest indicator if there has been some changes since last time. Using command line CVS isnt my favorite ;).
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...
G
Galadhrim
Op

Post by Galadhrim »

doesnt the botnet kindof make up for not having a multiserver bot? still u have 2 processes but you can easily make 2 conf files and boot 2 bots with the same user/chan files. they dont take that much cpu...
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

Galadhrim wrote:doesnt the botnet kindof make up for not having a multiserver bot? still u have 2 processes but you can easily make 2 conf files and boot 2 bots with the same user/chan files. they dont take that much cpu...
yeah, but instead of having to maintain several sets of parameterized configs (as in my situation - I run handful of bots, 1 bot per network), I'd prefer to have it all in one place; and the one-vs-many processes consideration can be of great significance when you are on a limited shell account (not my case, but the case of the majority eggdrop owners I'd imagine)
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

demond wrote:yeah, but instead of having to maintain several sets of parameterized configs (as in my situation - I run handful of bots, 1 bot per network), I'd prefer to have it all in one place; and the one-vs-many processes consideration can be of great significance when you are on a limited shell account (not my case, but the case of the majority eggdrop owners I'd imagine)
sounds like a shining example of the usefulness of psyBNC's :lol:
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

psyBNC... if it had some semi-useful scripting engine it would be priceless ;) alas, simply piping output and couple of events to external programs is not enough